Wednesday 20 February 2013

Modern wisdom:
Living light - getting started

Nowadays, the society seems to be lively due to the fact that well-being is highly based on consumption.  Vast consumption has lead into a situation, where the production of goods is highly optimized for efficiency, and thereby it often discards social and ecological effects. Even-though there are nowadays many responsible companies manufacturing e.g. outdoor clothing and equipment, it's mostly one's own responsibility to take actions to decrease consumption.

What comes to the modern outdoor clothing and equipment, the materials are mostly plastic-based e.g. different types of Nylon fabrics. Luckily, these modern fabrics exist in many different forms at the moment like fishing nets. The smartest recycling pioneers of the outdoor gear industry have realized the potential of grinding and reforming fibres into new fabrics. But the final frontier would still be the relevance of one's decision making before purchasing, I would say. Questions like "Do I need this for improving my performance?", "Do I already have a similar product?", "Would the new one perform somehow better than the old one?" etc. could be considered important.

There are many good articles about living lighter and optimizing your possessions not only in outdoor-wise but in general as well. Living lighter doesn't only make your move easier, but it'll also give an opportunity to stay organized. The following blog post about ultralight living at home somewhat opened my eyes for getting organized, as I've realized how much I possess e.g. clothing that I probably won't need. So I can't really brag about my skills, as I'm hopefully on the way towards living lighter.

Create your own necessity list to ease your life in modern world!

Here's my necessity list that I could figure out quickly for now. At least for me, the making of the list will probably be a continuously evolving process, as the relevance of each piece should be considered thoroughly. Mine probably lacks the everyday household necessities as well as sport equipment like bedding, tableware, skis etc., but I can admit that I possess only two sets of bedding that is enough for a normal and humble person. I guess it's time to start a raid against my closet.


My list:
  • Down jacket 
  • Softshell jacket 
  • Waterproofs (jacket and pants)
  • Beanies*
  • Cap
  • Fleeces*
  • Merino shirts*
  • Long johns*
  • Gloves/mittens*
  • Walking shoes
  • Hiking boots
  • Pants*
  • Belts*
  • Socks*
  • Briefs*
  • Tee shirts*
  • Button down shirts*
  • Sunglasses
  • Personal hygiene kit
  • Day pack
  • Water bottle
  • Water bag
  • Mug ("Kuksa")
  • Camera with memory cards and battery
  • Laptop computer
  • USB thumbdrive 
  • Printer and paper
  • Wristwatch
  • Headlamp 
  • Cellular phone and charger
  • Pens, pencils
  • Writing pads
  • Scissors
  • Stapler
  • Sheath knife
  • Hiking kit (one backpack and contents)
    • sleeping bag 
    • sleeping pad 
    • waterproof stuff sack 
    • first aid kit 
  • Toolbox with tools
(* items are multiples)

P.S. It's time to say good bye to the old blog name Multipurpose outdoors that served well for three years. At first, I thought about starting a new blog but I didn't want to start from scratch, so I'll just change the name and hopefully the content as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or share your ideas.